Disney 2016

Disney 2016

Friday, March 22, 2013

Some People Amaze Me

I have a few blogs that I have recently started reading. 

One of them tugs at my heart like none of the others.  It is written by a wife/mom and is about her family.  Husband, wife, 3 sons they had the good old fashioned way, 2 daughters adopted from China who have special needs, 2 daughters adopted from (I'm not sure what country) with Down Syndrome and most recently (like 9 weeks ago?) another son (also with Down Syndrome) and daughter adopted from a notoriously awful orphanage in Bulgaria. That's right, 9 kids, 6 of them adopted with special needs

This family, this couple, is amazing!

I have been following along, more because of the story and condition of the daughter they most recently adopted.  Her story makes my heart ache.  She was 14 years old (weeks from turning 15) when she was adopted and I am not even sure of the exact nature of all of her special needs but here is what I do know.  She laid in a crib in an orphanage for over 14 years.  She laid in her own waste for days at a time, she is unable to even sit up because her bones and joints and muscles are in such bad shape because she has Cerebral Palsy.  They found out just days ago that she is also legally blind.  She weighed only 14 pounds when they brought her home.  That is 1 pound for each year of her life. 

How does this happen?  Ugh.  It just hurts my heart and brings tears to my eyes to think about it.  The thing is, she's not alone.  There are other children out there. 

Here I sit in my comfortable, blessed life and I look at this family.  They are making a difference in the lives of these children that they have chosen.  What am I doing?  It makes me feel like a failure in some ways.

God is changing my heart very slowly, I can see it.  I feel like I need to quit sitting here thinking about it and go do something.  Am I being moved to adopt?  No.  I'm pretty confident that's not it.  I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing but the more time that passes, the more confident that I am that I should do something. 

For now?  I'm just going to keep praying and asking God to show me what he wants me to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment