Disney 2016

Disney 2016

Monday, October 14, 2013

Chicago Marathon

No, don't panic, I didn't run it.  I did volunteer again this year though.

This was my 5th year of volunteering in a "key leadership" role.  I am a truck inventory supervisor for Aid Station #9 which is approximately 12.5 miles into the race.  Essentially, my job is to take inventory in the two semi trailers that contain all of the aid stations supplies for the race.  I also make sure that the items are unloaded in the correct order so that the volunteers can begin their jobs as quickly as possible.  During the race, I cheer for the runners, keep an eye on the empty trucks and work a little crowd control.

My day began Disney early with having to wake up at 3am.  I was at my station at about 4:15am and immediately got to work.  Things went so smoothly this year, maybe the best in the 5 years I've done this.

Security was extra tight since this was the first major race since the Boston bombings.  I've never seen men in fatigues walking around with military weapons before.  We also had bomb sniffing canine units, uniformed police, undercover police in the crowds and more that we may never know about.  They weren't taking any chances.

The race itself is so fun to watch.  Maybe because I'm a runner and I can empathize with how the runners feel?  I had so much fun cheering for people.  Yelling their names if they had them on their shirts, or cheering for the Marathon Maniacs that ran by, or the World Vision charity runners.  I also knew several people running the race.  I didn't see all of them but I was so excited to get to cheer for the ones I did see.  There is nothing better than sweaty hugs from friends as they run by!

Here is my PSA for the day:  If you make the effort to add your name to the shirt you are running in, please don't wear headphones so that you cannot hear people cheering for you.  Seriously, why should I strain my voice cheering for you by name when obviously, it isn't important to you.  Maybe someone can explain why people do that?

After the race, I am responsible for helping clean up.   I make sure that all of the non-disposable items (think signs/rakes/shovels/brooms, etc) as well as the unopened items (pallets of water/Gatorade/Gatorade Chews) are returned and loaded back in the trailers.   It is amazing to me how quickly the corner is transformed from empty corner to bustling aid station with almost 300 volunteers back to empty corner with no evidence that a race ever came through there.  Chicago does such a fantastic job hosting this race. 

Maybe some day I will have a desire to run a full again.  If I'm fast enough, this race would certainly be towards the top of my bucket list.  In the mean time, I plan to continue to volunteer every year I can and I will cheer on my friends as they run it.

Before the race with Deb, Tracy & Darcy.  Volunteering is always so much more fun with friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment