Disney 2016

Disney 2016

Monday, June 24, 2013

Day 2

Today was our only free day on this trip so we decided to do a little sightseeing.

First place on the agenda was the Viet Cong Tunnels about 1 1/2 hours outside of Saigon.  To me, this was the highlight of the day although it was sobering and evoked more emotions than I expected.

This is not the place to be if you are claustrophobic.  I cannot fathom living down in the bunkers.  I tried to lower myself down one of the shafts and I got myself stuck.  Yes, embarrassing.  I had to have two men grab me by the arms and lift me straight up.


Sure, I'm smiling here because I didn't realize I was stuck yet.

Seeing real life examples of B52 bomb craters and real life examples of traps that were used against the US Forces in Vietnam brought the war to life to me.

B52 Bomb Crater

This was a trap used against US Forces

One of the entrances to the tunnels.  Obviously, this has been modified for the tourists.

I made it about 2 feet into a tunnel before I backed out.  It was hot, dark, cramped and crowded down there.  I wasn't feeling quite as adventurous at that point after getting stuck earlier. 

After the tunnels, we made our way back to downtown Saigon to the marketplace.  It was booth, after booth, after booth of the same stuff.  It was fun to see but the smell near the food section was unbearable to me.  I have never come so close to throwing up due to a smell in my life.  It's not someplace I feel I need to go back to, that's for sure. 

The Marketplace

Rick & Sherry

After the marketplace, we drove past a few famous landmarks such as the Notre Dame Cathedral, the Reunification Palace, and the first (and only) Starbucks in Vietnam.

Notre Dame Cathedral

Reunification Palace

Sorry, I didn't take a picture of the Starbucks.

Tomorrow morning we head to a local church to do a somewhat impromptu kids program for about 60 kids.  We have to do it early to avoid the heat and the probable rain but that doesn't really matter to us.  We are so excited to get to work with the kids!

1 comment: