Disney 2016

Disney 2016

Saturday, August 10, 2013

The Red Run 5k

This morning, bright and early (think 4:30am), Caitlyn and I got up and headed almost an hour away to run a 5k.  The proceeds from the race were to benefit organizations fighting human trafficking domestically.

I wasn't so excited about traveling so far for a 5k but the cause alone made it worth it to me.  I ended up very pleasantly surprised with the race and I was extremely happy I went.  The race was smaller (under 400 finishers) but was well laid out and organized.  The course started and finished at a park but wound through beautiful neighborhoods in the middle.  It reminded me a bit of Donna in that respect.  People had set up chairs in their driveways and were cheering and thanking us for running for such a great cause.

Caitlyn has not run all summer so she struggled a bit but I was able to keep her motivated to keep up our 1:1 through the entire race.  She took off on me in the last 300 yards that little stinker.  They had 2 water stops which is more than I am used to for a 5k and the course was never crowded.  The finish area had simple post-race refreshments but plenty for everyone, even the walkers.  There were also several vendors there selling goods.  The proceeds from those also went to benefit local organizations fighting for the same cause.

Turns out we had a small contingent from church running and walking the race so we were able to snap a quick picture after the race.






This is certainly a race I would drive all the way up there to run again.  Mainly because of what it represented.

No comments:

Post a Comment