Disney 2016

Disney 2016

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy 4th of July!

I hope everyone is taking time to be thankful for our freedom this Independence Day.  Having visited a Communist country recently, I was reminded that I take some of our freedoms for granted.  I appreciate even more now, the sacrifice that our military families have made/are making.

We started the celebration a day early on July 3rd.  Our tradition for the last 14 years (maybe more?) or so is to head to the polo field in Oak Brook to watch the fireworks.  We always have a great time relaxing, socializing, munching & playing while we wait for the show to start.  There is a core group of friends who have been going since the beginning but over the years, many others have joined in on the fun.

Our good friends David & Kelly


This morning, I finally got to sleep in for the first time since I got home from Vietnam.  I probably would have slept longer had a neighbors lawn mower not woken me up. 

This afternoon, Matthew marched in the parade with the Downers Grove North Marching Band.  It was his first performance with the band and his first parade.  He played the cymbals and came home with a few battle scars.  Bruises on his arm where the skin was pinched when he crashed the cymbals.  I hear that is common with new marching band percussionists and he seems to be wearing his bruises with pride.

Kelly got a great picture of him marching!

No comments:

Post a Comment